Support for Public Actors
Sustainable Flows works with government agencies, research groups, foundations and civil society to develop insights and tools for businesses, communities and government programs & policies. This includes:
- Advancing best practices
- Supporting government programs and policies
- Developing new tools, methods, approaches and analysis
Advancing best practices in natural capital assessment, valuation and accounting
Sustainable Flows is researching and advancing the use of:
Ecosystem services classification systems (ES-CS) that reduce costs and improve accuracy of ecosystem services assessment through final ecosystem services thinking:
- U.S. EPA’s National Ecosystem Services Classification System (NESCS) that is soon to be updated into NESCS+
- EU’s Common International Classification of Ecosystem Services (CICES)
- UN’s Logic Chains and System of Environmental-Economic Accounting (SEEA)
- See our recent white paper on the 18 benefits of using classification systems
Urban ecosystem services risks, opportunities and values
Supporting government programs and policies
Economies and communities are heavily dependent on water & ecosystem services. Properly integrating these into development projects can speed progress from poverty reduction to sustainability to climate change adaptation. Sustainable Flows works with leaders to integrate ecosystem services into development programs, policies and practices around the globe.
Government agencies are improving their management the environmental tradeoffs of their activities and the impacts of the policies they oversee. Sustainable Flows’ staff has been working globally on valuation for 20 years and helped write TEEB for Business and Enterprise and The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity in National and International Policy Making.
Developing new tools, methods and approaches
Sustainable Flows’ staff helped develop numerous tools including the Natural Capital Protocol, Corporate Ecosystem Services Review, the Guide to Corporate Ecosystem Valuation and the ESG Management Tool. We partner with organizations developing practical approaches to advancing sustainability.